Who can resist those big eyes and sweet puppy face grin? Can a little treat from the table really hurt your dog?

 

 

Well, it all depends what it is and what's in it. Surprisingly, there’s a lot of people food your dog should NEVER eat. Some foods in particular are super dangerous for dogs, we've compiled a list of the top 12 most dangerous foods and some may surprise you!

 

1. Xylitol

Topping the list as we previously mentioned is the sweetener Xylitol. Candy, Gum, Toothpaste, Baked Goods & certain diet foods are sweetened with Xylitol. It can cause your pup's blood sugar to severely drop & can even cause liver failure. Symptoms include vomiting, lethargy & coordination problems. Your dog may also have seizures. Liver failure can happen within a few days.

 

2. Persin

Avocados have something called Persin in them. Persin is a Fungicidal Toxin. It is considered generally harmless to humans, but when consumed by domestic animals in large quantities it is dangerous. If you grow Avocados at home you should keep your dog away from the plants. Persin is in the leaves, seed, & bark, as well as the fruit.

 

3. Alcohol

Alcohol has the same effect on a dog’s liver & brain that it has on people. However it takes a lot less Alcohol to hurt your dog. Just a little beer, liquor, wine, or food with alcohol can be bad. Alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coordination problems, breathing problems, coma, even death. The smaller your dog, the worse the symptoms can be. 

 

4. Onions & Garlic

Onions and Garlic: powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated all should be kept away from your dog. Onions & Garlic can kill red blood cells, causing severe anemia. A rare small dose is probably, but would be wise to just not feed your dog anything cooked in Onions or Garlic. Eating a lot just once can cause poisoning. Signs of symptoms from eating Onions or Garlic include weakness, vomiting, and breathing problems.

 

5. Caffeine

If you want your pup to be perky, give him a fun squeaky toy, not Caffeine. Caffeine can be fatal to dogs. Coffee & tea, even the beans & the grounds are poisonous to dogs. Be sure to keep your dog away from cocoa, chocolate, colas, and especially energy drinks. Caffeine is also found in some cold medicines & pain killers. Symptoms of ingesting Caffeine are restlessness, fast breathing, and muscle twitches.

 

 

6. Grapes & Raisins

Grapes & Raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Just a small amount can make a dog very sick. Vomiting over & over is an early sign. Within a day, your dog will get sluggish & depressed. Seizures can also occur. 

 

7. Milk & Other Dairy Products

On a hot day, it could be tempting to share your ice cream with your pup. Instead, give her an ice cube. Or during the summer you can make pre-made "Pup Pops" by dropping some dog treats into a popsicle mold, fill with water and freeze over night. Milk & milk-based products can cause diarrhea or other digestive problems. They can also trigger food allergies, which can cause her to itch and be uncomfortable.

 

8. Macadamia Nuts

Keep your dog far away from macadamia nuts & any foods that contain macadamia nuts in them. Just 6 raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make a your dog very sick. Look for symptoms like  muscle shakes, vomiting, high temperature, and weakness in his back legs. Eating chocolate with the nuts will make symptoms worse, maybe even leading to death.

 

9. Chocolate

The majority of people know that chocolate is bad for dogs. The problem in chocolate is Theobromine. Theobromine is in all kinds of chocolate, it is even in white chocolate. The most dangerous type is dark chocolate & unsweetened baking chocolate. Chocolate can cause your dog to vomit & have severe diarrhea. Chocolate can also cause heart problems, tremors, seizures & even death.

 

10. Fat Trimmings and Bones

Fat that is trimmed from meat both cooked & uncooked, can cause pancreatitis in dogs. Even though it seems natural to give a dog a bone to gnaw on, she could easily choke on it. Some bones can easily splinter & block or cause cuts in your dog's digestive system.

 

11. Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums

The problem with persimmons, peaches & plums are the seeds or pits. Seeds from persimmons especially can cause problems in a dog's small intestine. They can also potentially block intestines. Peaches and plums also have pits which contain Cyanide, which can be poisonous to people & dogs. People know not to eat pits but your pup does not! 

12. Raw Eggs

Some people choose to feed their dogs a "raw diet" that will include uncooked eggs. However major veterinary medical associations don't think it's a good idea. There's a potential chance of food poisoning from bacteria like salmonella or E. coli. Talk to your vet first before starting a "raw diet" with your pet.

 

 

No matter how careful you are, your dog could & swallow something she shouldn't. Pet owners should always have the number of their local vet, the closest emergency clinic & the Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435. If you think your dog may have eaten something they shouldn't have don't wait, call for emergency help right away!